Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oh to be 10 again....

I can totally remember being 10 and in the 5th grade ... well, at least some if it, but I do remember my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Bove @ Overland Park Elementary and thinking that our class was almost the top of the class (you know back in the olden days .... elementary school was K-6 and then it was junior high ... now that's another blog post .... terrified in 7th grade!) Okay, back to 5th grade .... new school subjects & switching classes, walking to school (when it was safe), making those cool "glue" finger nails with dried glue (that of course we made inside our metal desks), the rumor of the "clown in the black van" driving around picking up kids, playing tetherball and wishing I was really good at tetherball on the playground (which I never remembering winning ... there was always one girl (Nikki) who always won and was super cool), wishing I was cool and friends with the "cool girls" .... funny, thinking back on all these things and realizing what really matters now and how not much of that was important. I want to explain all these things to Hannah & Hank so they don't worry about what kids say and do but guess some of it they have to go through and make those decisions for themselves. I'm just always in "protective mode" and want to shield them from the pain and getting their feelings hurt.  
However, they are so happy go lucky and pretty resilient & thankful they are good at holding their own ... so enough about me and being 10 but more about the birthday @ hand! Happy 10th  Birthday Devin! Hope you had a fabulous party and welcome to your tweens! Which btw ... totally NOT ready for my baby to turn 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment